Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Portfolios: Once More, With Feeling



I had earlier talked about my new design for student portfolios in my class. After finishing out first unit I had students finish up the first unit entry.  For this first unit I pulled back a bit on my full outline I planned for each unit. It is my hope that this first unit page will serve as a toe dipping and in our second unit I can add more elements that I had intended to add originally.  I felt that getting students comfortable in the Google Sites environment the first go around and giving them some feedback was more important than having them start out with my full blown vision.

So, this go around our unit page was divided into 3 sections.

Objectives

For our first go around, I simply had students add the unit objectives to this section.  In our next unit, I plan to have them write them in their own words as well.

Narrative

The intention of this section is for students to reflect of their performance on formative quizzes.  In the first unit we had 2 quizzes.  I dropped the ball on this one.  We were pressed for time on the day of the 2nd quiz and I failed to tell students to do their reflection.  By the time I realized it, enough time had passed that it wouldn't be nearly as meaningful or relevant.  I want this section to be an immediate reaction to how they did, what helped them learn, and possible next steps.  I still struggling at how formal this should be or if it should be.  Should I make it a less rigid prompt and make it more of a free reflection.

Artifact

The artifact section differs a little for those students who took the test vs those who completed the alternative assessment.  Those who took the test were asked to reflect on their performance and look at their goal for the next unit.  If students would like to earn test correction points, this is where they would embed their correction document.  For students who completed the alternative assessment, they are asked to reflect on the process of the creation including successes, struggles, and if they were to do it again what they would change.  In addition, they are to embed their alternative assessment.

Looking at the student pages, they are all over the spectrum.  They key will be in providing in depth feedback on what is working and what students could expand/improve on.  


I've included some screenshots below.  This portfolio is ultimately intended for a general audience. I'd love some constructive feedback on how you think the format could be improved to communicate with an audience and to allow for learner relevance.

Also if you're doing portfolios, what are your students putting in them? I desperately want to know regardless of grade level.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st