Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Personal Goals are Personal

When I was young, my goal in life was to be a dermatologist.  I took classes in high school geared towards this goal.  How did I come to this goal?  My parents told me it was what I’d be.  As time progressed, I began to realize my goals in life had to be my own.  As teachers of specific content, we need to realize that all of our students do not have the goal to be a master in our field of instruction.

This step of allowing students to determine their own goals in taking our class is one key to moving to a truly personalized environment.  As an instructor, I am FAR FAR away from realizing this aspect of instruction.  But with the help of my co-teacher Andelee Espinosa, we are beginning to realize what this can look like with one of our students who has a very specific set of goals.

I won't go into the specifics of this student’s situation, but teachers will all recognize the situation as not unique in education.  This student is taking our physics course for credit acquisition in the hopes that this will be her last year of high school.  While the specifics of her situation are quite unique, their effect on her educational experience are not.  The main result is that the ability to earn an “A” in physics is not a major priority for her nor should it be.  She is already facing the challenges of an adult life.  Absences from class are unavoidable and must be accommodated for.  Her goal for our course is not to become proficient in all standards nor should it be.  Her goal is to demonstrate basic mastery of each objective in the course.  
This specific example applies to our forces unit.  Below you will find the rubric for the content objectives.


4
3
2
1
0
Force Objective 1: Force Diagrams
I can draw qualitative and quantitative diagrams for situations with perpendicular forces for situations not discussed in class
I can draw qualitative and quantitative diagrams for situations with perpendicular forces
I can draw qualitative and quantitative diagrams for situations with parallel forces
I can draw qualitative force diagrams
I cannot draw qualitative force diagrams
Force Objective 2: Balanced Forces
I can apply describe the forces both quantitatively and qualitatively on an object when forces are balanced  in a situation not seen in class
I can describe the forces both quantitatively and qualitatively on an object when forces are balanced
I can apply identify the forces on an object when forces are balanced
I can explain Newton’s 1st law of motion
I cannot explain Newton’s 1st law of motion
Force Objective 3: Unbalanced forces
I can apply Newton’s 2nd Law of motion to describe motions and forces qualitatively and quantitatively in a situation not seen in class
I can apply Newton’s 2nd Law of motion to describe motions and forces qualitatively and quantitatively
I can apply Newton’s 2nd Law of motion to describe motions and forces qualitatively
I can explain Newton’s 2nd law of motion
I cannot explain Newton’s 2nd law of motion
Force Objective 4: Action-reaction Forces
I can determine accelerations and forces for action-reaction pairs for situations not seen in class
I can determine accelerations and forces for action-reaction pairs
I can identify action and reaction forces on an object
I can explain Newton’s 3rd law of motion
I cannot explain Newton’s 3rd law of motion
Theories and Models
I can determine if new information fits into a model or theory or if it disagrees
I can compare and contrast multiple models/theories or combine multiple models/theories in an explanation of a phenomenon
I can apply a model/theory to explain a phenomenon
I can describe a theory/model
I cannot describe a theory/model
Mathematics
I can apply multiple formulas to solve a problem with collected data
I can apply multiple formulas to solve a problem
I can manipulate a formula to solve a problem
I can identify given quantities in a problem and choose the appropriate formula to solve the problems
I cannot identify quantities or the correct formula to solve a problem
Data Analysis
I can perform interpolations and extrapolations of data. Given new data, I can perform reevaluate interpretations
I can combine, compare, and interpret 2 or more data presentations
I can determine how changing one variable in a data set affects others and determine a mathematical relationship between the variables
I can identify basic features of a data presentation and state data presented
I cannot identify basic features of a data presentation and state data presented

In order to demonstrate mastery of several of these objectives at a base level, we had this student design a lab in which she could demonstrate an understanding of friction.  This student was asked to research experiments for studying friction using YouTube.  After viewing several examples, she settled on an experiment to demonstrate an understanding of friction.  She designed the lab procedure and collected materials required to carry out the lab.  With the assistance of a teacher and a fellow student, she collected the data required.  Below you will see a rough outline of her experiment.



She will be presenting her experiment and findings orally to her teachers in order to demonstrate mastery of the topics.  This presentation will take the form of a conversation in which the teachers can ask questions to elicit understandings that may not have been evident in her presentation.  This guided form of questioning can help determine true understanding which might not be demonstrated in a traditional assessment.

I want to make sure it is clear that this is a lab experience designed to meet minimal levels of mastery.  But, it doesn't have to be this way.  I can imaging teachers guiding students to a level which matches their desired goal.  In a truly personalized learning environment, it is the student goals that help determine the destination.  All students will not end up in the same place.  As teachers, we need to find peace with this because we are not preparing all of our students for the same profession.
I am a long way from truly grasping what this may look like for all students, but my goal is to get there someday.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st