Skip to main content

EdCamp Still Rules

  Looking Back at 10 years of EdCamps Oh how the time flies, EdCamp Madison is turning 10 this year!  It will be held Saturday, February 3rd at Sun Prairie West High School. Which can be found at 2850 Ironwood Drive in Sun Prairie Wisconsin from 8:30 am - 3:00 pm.  Get more information and register here: https://sites.google.com/sunprairieschools.org/edcampmadwi/home   I will always remember sitting in my first EdCamp opening session at the very first EdCamp Madison and having no clue what I was in for. So, I’d like to take this space to go over some of the basic rules of EdCamp. No One Will Pitch It for You EdCamps are unconferences. By this I mean that they have a blank slate of sessions for the day. There may be a few predetermined sessions, but ultimately the session topics are determined by attendees during the pitch & plan session that opens the day. If an idea gets pitched there will be a session on it. If a topic doesn’t get pitched, there won’t be a session on it. So, it i

Upgrading My Canvas Use

As I start looking forward to the 2015-16 school year, it's time to start upgrading.



The first tool I’ll be gearing up is Canvas. Canvas is the powerful learning management system created by Instructure that my district has been using for the past two school years. I am very happy with the abilities and functionality it provides.  I feel like I’ve barely scratched the surface in what the system has to offer.


The first year I used Canvas, it was part of a pilot program in the district. The district rolled it out to a number of different teachers and hosted its own version at the district level. I spent that summer learning all about it via YouTube tutorials and was ready to use some of the basic elements.  That year, I used it only in one class. I set up each unit as a module, created online quizzes for problem sets, created assignments students could submit online, and also had students create ePortfolios.


Last school year, Canvas was rolled out district wide.  This time it was hosted by Instructure so we were able to access the full capabilities of Canvas.  This included the mobile app which made access on smartphones and tablets much easier.  In year two, I deployed Canvas across all of my classes. I experimented with some new functionalities as well.  I embedding Google Docs into pages on Canvas for easy updates.  I increasing the variety of questions in quizzes and imported questions from question banks.  I also created rubrics for assignments and used Speedgrader to grade online submissions.  I also incorporated LTI apps such as Khan Academy to provide students with resources outside of the textbook to learn content.


Not everything I tried last year worked. That’s where I’m focusing my efforts on for this year.


Outcomes
Last year, I was able to fully deploy rubrics for assignments.  But, when I tried to do the same with outcomes I failed.  This year, I’ve taken my learning objectives and entered them into Canvas as outcomes.  I’ve grouped outcomes by unit.  Each unit has 3 to 4 objectives.  I’ve created a 5 point rubric for each one (a scale of 0-4).  



In addition to content learning objectives, I’ve also created competency objectives related to science process.  To create these, I looked at both science practices identified by the College Board for AP Science Curriculum and those measured by the ACT Test.  I’ve created 4 different outcomes.  The first is Models and Theories which assesses a student's ability to explain, compare, and apply scientific models and theories.  The second is Mathematics which measures a student’s ability to apply formulas and complete to computations.  The third is Experimental Design which assesses a student’s ability to design a procedure to test a hypothesis.  Finally, Data Analysis measures a student's ability to evaluate data and come to conclusions.



Align Question Banks
Now that these outcome rubrics have been created, they can be applied to student tasks.  The first being quizzes.  To keep things organized, Canvas allows for assigning outcomes to question banks. 



This aligns specific questions with a specific outcome.  So, I’ve started designing question banks to contain questions addressing a single objective.  I’ve then started building multiple quizzes for each objective using these banks.  



With multiple quizzes, students can monitor their progress towards the mastery of a specific objective.  They can do this thanks to the Learning Mastery Gradebook in Canvas.

Align Assignments
In addition to aligning outcomes to questions banks, outcomes can be aligned to assignments.  This means that in addition to the scoring rubric I’ve already created, I can assign outcomes as well.  For example, a lab could cover both content and science practice skills.  In this case, I can align multiple outcomes to that assignment.  Canvas will keep track of all of this in the Learning Mastery Gradebook.

Student Wiki Resources
As I stated, last year I included content resources such as Khan Academy.  This year I’d like to have students do a little bit more sharing of resources.  I’ll still provide Khan Academy links.  I want to try something else in addition.  I will create a wiki pages that students can edit.  I’m going to ask that students submit additional resources to this page.

Badges



Last year another failure was trying to award badges.  I tried to use Canvabadges LTI app to award badges to students based on completion of assignments and scoring at a specific level. I was able to keep up with it for the first couple of units.  I did a very poor job of explaining the process, and interest fell off.  This year, I will try it again. Last year, I tried to do a badge for each module.  This year, I will assign badges for each of the four science practices.  Students will gain these badges at the end of the course if they have scored advanced level in the outcome.

The creation of the questions banks aligned to a specific objective will probably take the most time, but the ability to get that objective specific feedback will prove worthwhile. I look forward to talking more about it once school actually starts in about 5 weeks.

Comments

  1. This is awesome!!! Is there a way that I could see your class. I'm a tech facilitator at a high school and middle school and my science teachers and math teachers are really having a tough time seeing how Canvas will help them in their classroom. I would really love to show them your courses to show how you have them set up. I think once they see how another teacher that teaches a curriculum similar to theirs ALWAYS helps.

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on your blog. My email is gina.hutchens@yadkin.k12.nc.us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, you are a true inspiration. I have become very serious about Canvas, but you are light-years ahead of me. Looks like you find it very useful. Do your students like it as much as you do?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Twitter Cards for Blogger

So, I’ve been seeing people with beautiful Twitter Cards in my Twitter Stream. They make it clear that there is a web page to visit and give a quick preview of what would be found. Something like the one below: I’ve been wondering how to get one of the cards to appear when I tweet out a link to my latest blog post.  Since I use Blogger, there is not a simple button to click to turn this on.  I had to find a way to paste new code into the HTML code of my blog.  It took some searching from multiple sites to get a completely functional.   This site though was quite helpful.  But, I’d like to walk you through my process and hopefully it helps a few out. There are a few types of Twitter Cards.  Two that at most frequently see are the basic summary card and the summary card with large image.  Below you can see the layout of each, but realize that they both have the same content pieces. This is going to look like a lot more work than it will actually be

Pear Deck 101 + Q&A

  Last week, I presented as a part of Pear Deck’s Pear Fair 2020. My presentation was Pear Deck 101 for Google Slides. During the presentation, there was a live chat. Many people said it went too fast for a 101 Session. Luckily, it was recorded so it can be rewatched.  Also, many said that they wanted to know how to build a Pear Deck first. I structured the presentation to show what Pear Deck was before showing how to make one. Perhaps that wasn’t the best structure. But, I’m going to stick with my philosophy of showing what something is before showing how to make it. The presentation, which can be watched below, was structured in several different sections What is Pear Deck? Providing an overview of the experience from the Teacher and Student perspectives. How do you build a Pear Deck in Google Slides? How do you start a Pear Deck presentation? How do you end a Pear Deck presentation? Here is the Slideshow I shared during the session bit.ly/pearfair101 Time really flew in the sess

Using Infinite Campus to Give Grades Meaning

At Brookfield Central High School have just passed the three week grading period and are approaching the first parent teacher conferences of the year. My thoughts are turning to clarifying my grading practices to students and parents as more scores are being entered into the gradebook.  I have completely restructured the grade reporting in my online gradebook this year.  This was due to struggles I had last year in trying to implement what I believe to be best grading practices into my grade reporting.  Much of my grading philosophy has been informed by Robert Marzano and Marzano Research, specifically the wonderful book Classroom Assessment & Grading that Works .   Traditionally, as I prepare for teacher conferences, I use a student summary report I print from our online gradebook to guide the discussion with parents.  Our grading program in my district is Infinite Campus (IC).  I really like the software and find it extremely easy to use.  Below you’ll see a sample st